Horn was the proprietor of W. H. Horn and Son, a painting shop and provider of painters' materials. His shop was located at 15 South College Street, currently Third Avenue. His residence was located above his business.
Horn served on the Nashville Board of Alderman from 1845-46, 1852, 1856, 1859, and in 1860. He was elected Mayor in 1853. One of the more outstanding accomplishments during his service to the city was the introduction of the bill that resulted in the establishment of a system of free public schools in Nashville.
An active member of the Masonic organization, in 1826, Horn became a Master Mason in the Cumberland Lodge. Additionally he was a Knight Templar, a Knight of Malta, and Grand Treasurer of the Grand Chapter, Council and Commandery.
Horn died on March 10, 1870 from consumption. His funeral was held the following day at Christ Church, Episcopal, by the Reverend Doctor William J. Ellis, the Rector of the church. He is buried at the historic Nashville City Cemetery.
Research completed by LaQuita V. Martin, a Public Service Management graduate student at Cumberland University.